J. Michael McGarity, Esq.Member
- Email J. Michael McGarity, Esq. ›
Gwinnett County Injury Attorney | Accident Attorney
Mike McGarity graduated from Georgia Institute of Technology in 1976, receiving a Bachelor of Science degree in Industrial Management. He received his Juris Doctor from the University of Georgia School Of Law in 1979, was admitted to the Georgia Bar, the Supreme Court of Georgia, and the Georgia Court of Appeals in 1979. Mr. McGarity is admitted in the U.S. District Court, (Northern District of Georgia), and the Eleventh Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals.
After receiving his J.D. degree, Mr. McGarity joined the Gwinnett County District Attorney’s Office as Assistant District Attorney. In 1997, McGarity was appointed by Attorney General Thurbert Baker as Special Assistant Attorney General and for four years represented the Gwinnett County Child Support Enforcement Division. He was appointed by the Supreme Court of Georgia as Special Master in several disciplinary matters and has also tried well over a hundred jury trials and hundreds of bench trials.
McGarity shifted into private practice, joining the Lawrenceville firm of Webb, Fowler and Tanner as an associate. He became partner in that firm after trying a large number of complex litigation cases, including wrongful death claims, medical malpractice, personal injury, multi-party claims, felony criminal trials and real estate litigation matters. Mr. McGarity was later named partner at Anderson, Tate, Mahaffey and McGarity, where he spent four and a half years before opening The McGarity Group in September 2006. Mr. McGarity has been appointed by the chief superior court judge to the Gwinnett County Law library Board as of December 13, 2013.
McGarity is also active in community affairs having served from the Gwinnett County Chamber of Commerce Executive Board for the past five years. His also serves as the Chairman of the Environmental Heritage Center Foundation. He is active in the Gwinnett County Rotary Club being a Paul Harris fellow as well as a Will Watt fellow. McGarity was nominated for SuperLawyers for the past 11 years.
- 11 years as Georgia “Super Lawyer” in 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016
- Assistant District Attorney, Gwinnett County District Attorney’s Office
- Trial Lawyer having tried well over a hundred jury trials and hundreds of bench trials
- Special Assistant Attorney General, State of Georgia, 1991-1997, Appointed by Attorney General Thurbert Baker, representing the Gwinnet County Child Support Enforcement Division, 1977
- Appointed, Special Master, Supreme Court of Georgia handling disciplinary matters for Attorneys
- President, Northeast Georgia Council for the Boy Scouts, 2004-2005
- Former Partner, Webb, Fowler and Tanner
- Trustee, Georgia Gwinnett College
- Rotary Club of Gwinnett County (Secretary, 2007)
- Former Member, Gwinnett County Board, Department of Family and Children Services
- Trustee and Chairman for the Environmental Heritage Center Foundation
- Georgia Trial Lawyers Association- Vice President (1999-2009)
- Barrister of Charles Longstreet Weltner Inn of Court
Strong Community Involvement
- McGarity is an active community leader, with strong roots to Gwinnett County.
- Member of the Executive Board of Directors Northeast Georgia Council for the Boy Scouts (covering 26 Georgia counties)
- Trustee for the Georgia Gwinnett College
- 1986 graduate of Leadership Gwinnett
- Member of the Gwinnett Rotary Club as well as the Gwinnett Chamber of Commerce Chairman’s Club
- Member of the Board of Directors Gwinnett Chamber of Commerce
- Former member of the Gwinnett County Board for the Department of Family and Children’s Services
- Former member of the J.M. Tull YMCA Board of Directors (honored with Gwinnett’s YMCA Volunteer of the Year Award – 1988)
- Former Coach Mock Trial Team Mill Creek High School
- Community Involvement: Former Council President, Northeast Georgia Council for the Boy Scouts for more than 26 counties (2003-2005)